12 rules for choosing a washing machine
Author expert journal
Reading time: 4 minutes
Thinking about buying a washing machine? Or the old automatic machine ordered to live long? We will tell you how to choose the right washing machine, so that later you do not regret wasted money, do not search feverishly for a master and do not pay neighbors for damaged repairs.
- Loading side. Choosing. frontal or vertical? It will be difficult to install top-loading equipment in the kitchen, and such equipment will not become a convenient “shelf” in the bathroom. linen is loaded from above. The advantages of the “vertical” are space saving (width. about 45 cm), lack of a hatch, ease of use (no need to bend over and forgotten socks can be thrown into the machine during washing). Advantages of a front-loading machine: the ability to build into furniture, a choice of models with a load of up to 10 kg, a convenient “shelf”, a transparent hatch. Minus. large size (in bulk).
- Capacity and maximum load in kg. If your family consists of two spouses, or you live alone and for pleasure, then a car with a load of 3-4 kg is enough. For a denser cell of society (about 4 people), the maximum load increases to 5-6 kg. Well, for a large family, you should immediately choose a car with a load of up to 8-10 kg.
- Spinning, washing, energy efficiency are the main criteria. Washing class: A and B. the most effective wash; C, D and E. less effective; F and G are the lowest efficiency level. The spin class (indicator of the residual moisture content of the clothes after spinning): A. 40-45 percent, C. about 60 percent, D. even lower level, but stumbling upon such a machine today is an accident. Energy efficiency class (the efficiency of the technique, the higher the class, the less the machine “eats” electricity): A. the most economical (with 60 grams of water. about 1 kW / h), A. even more economical (0.7-0.9 kW / h).
- Spin speed. Usually it varies between 800 and 2000 (yes, there are such) revolutions. Which is better? The optimum spin speed is 1000 rpm. Machines with a higher spin speed will be 30-40 percent more expensive due to the high cost of parts, and you will not notice a significant difference in spin. And it is not recommended to spin the laundry at a speed higher than 1000 rpm. it will simply lose its appearance.
- Software. The norm for a modern machine is 15-20 washing programs with minor differences. Obligatory and most popular programs among housewives: wash silk, synthetics, delicate items, cotton, hand wash (for a light, gentle wash), wash baby clothes (with boiling), quick wash (30 minutes, for lightly soiled items), prewash (or soaking), processing linen with silver or steam (for disinfection). Mandatory: rinsing, selection of the cycle or selection of individual cycle elements (number of rinses, temperature, spin speed, etc.).
- Leakage protection. partial or complete. In cheap cars, partial protection is usually installed. special valves on the inlet hoses (if the hose is damaged, the water supply is interrupted) or protection of the body from overflows (in this case, the water supply stops if the water in the tank rises above a certain level). With regard to complete protection against leaks, it is the whole complex of protective measures.
- Tank and drum. material selection. Features of the plastic tank: good noise insulation, chemical inertness, very long service life. Features of a stainless steel tank: even longer service life (tens of years), noise.
- Auto-control of drum imbalance. Why is the function useful? It allows you to extend the life of the equipment and reduce the noise level. Action: when the laundry gets tangled in a tight ball, the machine itself “unravels” the clothes with the help of the drum movements.
- Foam control. Also a useful function that allows the machine to “extinguish” the foam (by suspending the wash for a while) if the wrong choice / dosage of powder.
- Noise level. The best option is not more than 70 dB when spinning and not more than 55 dB when washing.
- Protection from children. A function that is useful for every mom. With its help, the control panel is locked so that the curious little one cannot change the operation of the machine by accidentally pressing the buttons.
- Delay start. This timer allows you to postpone the wash for the desired time. For example, at night (electricity is cheaper at night).
The question of brand choice is individual. and, in fact, secondary. There are practically no cars with a categorically bad reputation on the market. And the main cost difference comes from design and brand.
Therefore, the first attention is on the functionality and parameters of the technique.
- Not everyone can afford the Kuppersbusch WA 1940.0 AT washing machine, because it is. But this technique from Switzerland is made for centuries. It is undeniably the best of all front-loading washing machines. Modes for all occasions, reliable and convenient TFT display, noise isolation, laundry weighing and many other important and necessary additions.
- The Miele WDB 020 W1 Classic is more than half the price of the previous model, but that doesn’t make it any worse. Each model of this brand can be called reliable, but we liked this model the most. It is distinguished by perfect assembly, a wide range of programs for almost all types of fabrics, a branded drum, quiet operation and many other advantages. In addition, it only remains to say about the stainless steel from which the tank is made.
Front-loading washing machines, or horizontal ones, are the most popular among Russian users. This type of technique is rightfully considered a classic, which, as you know, does not age and does not become a thing of the past.
Cars with a front hatch fell in love with the Russian user, who noted for himself the main advantages of such equipment:
- relatively affordable cost;
- attractive, even elegant appearance that cannot harm the interior in any way;
- an extensive selection of sizes, ranging from miniature models for 3 kg of items and ending with large units with a maximum capacity that can exceed the 10 kg mark;
- high levels of ergonomics make it possible to install “frontal” units under sinks and countertops, in kitchen sets and niches;
- through the glass on the loading door, you can control the washing process and always know what is happening inside the machine;
- in many models, the door opens 180 degrees, which makes the operation process even more convenient;
- the doors must be locked for the entire washing stage;
- the top of the machines is very often used as an additional shelf, which the top-loading models cannot boast of.
The disadvantages of such machines include the need for additional space to open the door.
Popular models rating
Due to the huge range of washing machines that are available to the Russian user, it is extremely difficult to make a rating. Each manufacturer tries to make a unique product with high performance, because many models are worthy.
By noise level
Of the quiet models, two were allocated.
- Samsung WW12K8412OX is the pinnacle of innovations available at this moment. Expressive design meets sophisticated functionality, remote control via smartphone, and the capacity of the drum to load up to 12 kg of laundry. With such an impressive set of characteristics, the machine demonstrates silent operation.
- An excellent example of the quietest washing machine is LG’s F-10B8ND. This “washing machine” is amazing in many ways. Despite its shallow depth and a spacious 6 kg tank, the machine is very quiet. For equipment of this class, the cost is at an affordable level.
The dimensions of front loading washing machines are not regulated and do not obey generally accepted standards. But it so happened among manufacturers that the dimensions of washing machines depend on the design features and their functionality.
Each manufacturer tries to create compact models with a large capacity.
The shape of the front-facing cars is close to a parallelepiped. Dimensions consist of three main parameters that the buyer is guided by when choosing.
- The height of the equipment will determine the ability to place a “washing machine” under the sink or build it into furniture. In full-size models, this figure is often 85 cm.Exceptions in the form of low cars are rare.
- The width determines the ability of the car to fit in the available space. The standard is 60 cm.
- Each manufacturer is trying to reduce the depth and “surpass” their competitors. The shallower the depth of the front washing machine, the more space you can save. And also the capacity of the machine and the level of vibrations that it will give out during operation depends on this indicator. This parameter starts at 32 cm and can go up to 70 cm.
The standard measurements of height and width (H x W) are 85 and 60 cm, respectively. The same cannot be said about the depth, which is a variable. Depending on this parameter, different types of front-loading washing machines are distinguished.
- Full-size models have a depth of 60 cm. These units are the largest. For the installation of such dimensional models, spacious rooms are needed, for which space-saving issues are not relevant. Capacity starts from 7 kg.
- Standard “washers” are characterized by a depth of 50 to 55 cm. They are easily placed in the corner and do not really interfere. Capacity does not exceed 7 kg.
- Narrow machines have a depth of 32 to 45 cm. Their choice is relevant for small spaces in which every centimeter is important. Such small-sized products hold no more than 3.5 kg of laundry, especially for models with a minimum depth.
Narrow “washing machines” are inferior to their larger counterparts in stability, since the base area is insufficient. And also when spinning, they vibrate more.
Many manufacturers offer very small models. They are relevant in cases where there is no room even for a narrow typewriter. Their height does not exceed 70 cm, the width varies from 40 to 51 cm, and the depth can be from 35 to 43 cm. No more than 3 kg of things can be loaded into such machines. Mini versions are usually found under sinks and in cabinets.
When choosing a front-facing washing machine, it is necessary to take into account its dimensions. It is worth pre-measuring the dimensions of the place where the equipment will stand. In this case, it is necessary to take into account the gaps on the sides and back for the supply of pipes. When installing built-in appliances, it is necessary to take measurements very accurately so that the machine clearly falls into place.
And also in advance it is worth worrying about the transportation of equipment. this concerns the width of the doorways. In some cases, you have to remove the front panel in order for the machine to squeeze into the room.
Choosing a front-loading washing machine
- Popular models rating
- How to choose?
The automatic washing machine has already become a necessary technique, without which it is extremely difficult to imagine the life of a modern person. In this case, the devices are divided into two large categories according to the method of loading linen: frontal and vertical. Today we will learn to choose front loading washing machines.
How to choose?
So we come to the main question: how to choose the right front-loading washing machine. “Frontalki” are produced in a huge assortment, in which it is not surprising to get lost. To facilitate the choice, you need to familiarize yourself with the main varieties and main classification parameters.
The material of the tank may not be the primary criterion, but no less important, which should also be taken into account when choosing. There are several options:
- enameled tanks are less and less common, since they are impractical and short-lived;
- stainless steel is a very good option, but expensive, but such a tank can last up to 100 years (!);
- plastic is more affordable, less durable than stainless steel, but more reliable than enameled steel, and such tanks are quieter during washing and retain the heat of water better.
Control can be electronic or mechanical. Electronic control is more modern and sophisticated, characterized by wide functionality and the ability to conduct self-diagnostics. But mechanics is considered a more reliable device that is not afraid of changes in the power grid. “Washers” with mechanical control are more accessible.
Leakage protection can be complete or partial. In the case of partial protection, the machine automatically shuts off the water supply.
Full protection additionally controls the overflow of water in the tank.
The following options are distinguished by the type of engine:
- the collector is equipped with a belt drive, it is affordable and repairable, but demonstrates fragility and is characterized by noisy operation;
- inverter motors work on the direct drive principle, they are more durable and economical, less noisy and less vibrating;
- asynchronous is equipped with a belt drive, is characterized by low cost, quiet operation and easy repair, it is also characterized by low power.
The washing class is a very important, almost paramount indicator of any washing machine. This characteristic will determine the quality of washing things, therefore you cannot save on it in any way.
Almost all modern “washing machines” have washing class A and even higher (A, A or A).
The spin class is an equally important indicator that must also be taken into account when choosing. The higher it is, the less moisture will remain in things. For example, class A has a residual moisture content of less than 45%. With a decrease in the spin class, the percentage of moisture rises by 9 units.
The energy class has a similar letter designation. The most economical cars belong to A. they consume less than 0.15 kWh / kg.
It will not be superfluous to pay attention to the water consumption. Average values are in the range of 36-60 liters. There are models with very high water consumption (up to 100 liters), therefore this parameter must also be taken into account.
Drying clothes is an option that is becoming more and more popular. This feature is unambiguously useful, but it increases the cost of the machine and increases the size. When choosing such units, it is necessary to pay attention to a number of features:
- the number of programs that must be designed for different fabrics;
- the maximum weight of the laundry that can be dried in one go;
- the drying time should depend on the degree of moisture of things, and not be fixed.
How to choose a washing machine, see below.
We have already written that, despite the significantly smaller dimensions, the vertical models on average have the same capacity as the front ones. The standard load of an automatic washing machine is 4 to 7 kg.
The most popular are machines designed for a maximum load of 5-6 kg. For a large family, a unit is more suitable in which you can wash up to 8 kg of laundry at once. such devices are on sale, but they are usually more expensive.
The size of a washing machine will greatly affect its size, but not always. So, manufacturers produce narrow models (shallow depth) with a maximum drum load of up to 7-8 kg.
Modern washing machines of the top loading type are equipped with a whole range of functions that ensure the safety of the appliance from various external factors. In the technical description of the device, you need to pay attention to the presence of the following functions:
- Leakage protection. to protect the device from depressurization, the manufacturer can provide it with complete or incomplete leakage protection. Full protection assumes the presence of water leakage sensors on the hoses and on the bottom of the case, and incomplete protection only on one thing.
- Child protection. the presence of a button on the control panel with which you can lock the entire panel, thereby protecting the machine from accidentally starting any program.
- Surge protection. a residual current device that stops the supply of electricity to the device when a voltage surge in the network is detected. After the power supply is restored, the machine will continue washing from the same place.
Unfortunately, not all major manufacturers of household appliances are engaged in the production of washing machines with a vertical load type. There are quite a few large companies that are completely focused on the production of frontal models. So, now you can’t find vertical washing machines on sale from companies: LG, Samsung, Siemens, BEKO, ATLANT.
However, other popular brands are actively producing top-loading devices.
Many good models of top-loading washing machines are available from the manufacturers Bosch, Hotpoint-Ariston, Electrolux, Whirlpool, Zanussi, etc.
The control panel is an important part of an automatic washing machine. It is a block with all the elements with which the user can “communicate” with the device: set washing parameters, give and cancel commands, etc.
As a rule, the control panel of the washing machine consists of several mechanical buttons and two or three rotating discs (selectors), which are needed to select the desired item from the menu. modern models are also equipped with an LCD display.
On washing machines with a vertical loading type, the control panel is usually very compact and takes up very little space on the case. this is due to the small dimensions of the appliance.
How to choose a top-loading washing machine?
Compact models, narrow, super slim, vertical, frontal. The choice of washing machines today is simply huge, and it is rather difficult for an unprepared person to make the right decision to buy. there are so many decent options that cost about the same, but differ in some parameters.
The first thing to decide when going shopping is what type of boot you want to buy. There are two options here: front loading and vertical loading. The first option is considered more traditional. the vast majority of modern automatic machines belong to the frontal type. Vertical models are in much less demand due to some of their design features. We will talk in detail about the advantages and disadvantages of top-loading washing machines, as well as their capabilities and the best models in today’s article.
- High price. despite their compact size and some inconvenience in use, washing machines with a vertical load type are more expensive. If we take two models with similar functions from the same manufacturer, then a top-loading model will cost significantly more than its front-facing counterpart.
- Difficulty in servicing the detergent dispenser. the detergent dispensers for vertical washers cannot be pulled out completely, therefore they are difficult to wash and clean from clogs.
- Small loading hatch. the window through which the laundry is loaded, in vertical models, as a rule, it is rather narrow, so it is difficult to load bulky items through it, for example, outerwear.
Top loading washing machines can be divided into several types, depending on the type of operation:
- devices with electronic control. the work is controlled by the programmer, the user only needs to select a mode or program, and the machine will determine all the washing parameters independently;
- devices with mechanical control. the user must set the operating parameters himself, switch modes, start and stop the next stages of washing;
- devices with electronic-mechanical control (mixed type). such washers are equipped with both a programmer and mechanical controls.
- Compactness is the most important advantage of vertical models, which, as a rule, is the determining factor for buyers. With a standard height, such machines have a width and depth that are much smaller than that of the front models.
- Good maximum load. despite its small size, vertical washing machines are equipped with a spacious drum, so you can load the same kilogram of laundry in them as in front-loading machines.
- The ability to add items. the hatch at the top of the appliance can be opened during the wash process without fear of breaking the tightness. But this can only be done at the initial stage of washing.
- There is no need for expensive repair / replacement of a glass hatch or a rubber sealing collar. repairing a hatch door for front washing machines is very time consuming, in addition, some parts can be quite expensive. From this point of view, the plastic door of vertical washers is more reliable.
We offer for viewing a of the Youtube channel, which describes in more detail the advantages of top-loading washing machines.
The most “advanced” models of vertical washing machines are equipped with a self-diagnostic function. This is a very useful thing that will help the owner of the washing machine to determine the cause of a malfunction in operation without resorting to the help of a master. After analyzing the operation of the system, the instrument displays an error code message on the LCD display, the meaning of which can be found in the user manual along with recommendations for resolving the problem.
Spin and energy saving
One of the most important parameters that you must pay attention to when choosing a vertical washing machine are the spin and energy saving classes. These indicators must be taken into account, because they largely determine how much electricity the unit will consume.
The spin class is a criterion by which the moisture level of the laundry after washing is assessed. The higher the spin class, the drier the laundry will be. This indicator depends on the speed of rotation of the drum during spinning. There are 7 classes in total from A to G, which correspond to speeds from 400 to 1600 rpm. You can read more about this in the article “Which spin class is better in washing machines?”.
Energy class is an indicator of the efficiency of a washing machine in terms of energy consumption. The most economical models are assigned class A, which means that the device consumes less than 0.15 kV / h. The lowest grade is G; such washers consume more than 125 kW / h.
Dimensions and capacity of the washing machine
Front-loading washing machines have approximately the same dimensions. The case width is almost always 60 cm, the width varies from 85 to 90 cm. less common are lower washing machines with a height of 65-70 cm. they are used for installation under the sink, but such models are extremely few.
Looking at the mass models, we can see that they differ the most in depth. Models with an extremely shallow depth (from 33 cm) are considered the most compact. They take up a minimum of space and are well suited for installation in small spaces. The average depth of more spacious models is 45-55 cm.Large models have a depth of up to 65 cm. such machines can easily fit up to 12 kg of dry linen, but they also need much more space for their installation.
When choosing a front-loading washing machine in terms of dimensions, you need to look only at the depth and height, since the width is fixed in most cases. If there is no room in the house, check out the narrow models (33-40 cm deep). they will be the most suitable option. But remember that the capacity of such models is only 3-3.5 kg.
As for standard washing machines with a depth of 45 to 55 cm, their capacity varies from 4 to 8 kg. Larger models up to 65 cm deep, have a capacity of up to 12 kg and more. Let’s talk about roominess separately. If the machine holds a maximum of 3.5 kg of laundry, then this is a model for one or two, maximum three people. Does your family consist of 4 people? Then you need to view the washing machine for 5-5.5 kg. By the way, in such machines it is convenient to wash large things. If your family consists of 5-6 people, take a closer look at machines with a 6-7 kg drum. Does your family have a lot of people? In order to wash less often and do not lead to high consumption of water and electricity, buy a machine for 10-12 kg of laundry.
All these are, of course, the recommended parameters. For example, if a single person or a family of two chooses a machine with a drum for 3 kg of linen, then the choice can hardly be called optimal. you cannot wash winter jackets or pillows in such a machine. Therefore, as the minimum acceptable option, it is best to consider 5 kg models. Narrow washing machines, with a depth of 33 cm or more, are best left to those who have nowhere to put a full-size machine.
How to Pick a Good Front Loading Washing Machine
Let’s figure out why front-loading machines are better than their vertical counterparts and talk about how to choose the right washing machine.
Class of spin, washing and energy saving
The higher the energy saving class, the less energy will be consumed per wash. Machines with energy class A and A consume from 0.07 kW of electricity per cycle. But do not admire this, since such statements refer to the most economical wash cycles with a minimum of laundry.
If we load a full drum, set the pre-rinse and spin at 1400 rpm, set the washing temperature to 90 degrees and activate an additional rinse in warm water, then we will not feel any efficiency. The same applies to machines in energy classes A and A. they consume from 0.18 kW in one of the most economical and shortest wash cycles.
With regard to the washing class, this refers to the washing quality. The overwhelming majority of machines belong to washing class A. That is, washing clothes in an average washing machine is performed just fine. By the way, the quality directly depends on the powder used, so you can not really count on the class. It is not recommended to take a machine with a washing class lower than A. remember this.
It is best to pay attention to the spin class. It is calculated like this:
- Class C. from 600 to 800 rpm;
- Class B. from 800 to 1200 rpm;
- Class A. over 1400 rpm.
Washing machine with or without dryer
On the one hand, it is possible to do without drying in 99% of cases. the laundry after automatic washing machines is practically dry, with a small amount of moisture. But if we buy a machine with a dryer at our disposal, then we can get perfectly dry laundry that can be immediately put into the closet.
The disadvantage of having a dryer in the washing machine is the enormous energy consumption. the drying function is distinguished by the highest gluttony. It is easy to solve the issue of the need for drying:
- If you really do not have a place to install an inexpensive room dryer and you agree to high energy consumption, you can safely buy a machine with a dryer;
- Is it possible to install a simple room dryer or hang out the laundry on the balcony? Then it is better to forget about the machine with a dryer. it will be unnecessary expenses.
What programs should be in a typewriter
Standard programs, such as synthetics, cottons, intensive wash and mixed fabrics, are available in almost any washing machine. We should pay attention to the presence of such an important program as a delicate wash. If you have clothes made of wool or delicate fabrics, then the program will definitely come in handy. The essence of its work lies in the extremely low speed of rotation of the drum, and in some cases there is a simple rolling of the drum from side to side.
You also need to pay attention to the availability of such options as adjusting the spin speed (as far as possible, with a minimum step) and adjusting the washing temperature. It is desirable that the temperature is regulated on each program. this provides flexibility in the choice of washing parameters for a particular type of laundry.
From the set of additional functions, it would be nice to have an extra rinse or Super rinse in hot water. Are there any additional useful service functions in the selected model? This is great, but do not forget to appreciate their significance for yourself. in many cases we simply overpay for additional functions, but we almost never use them.
Advantages of front-facing machines over vertical
The main advantage of front-end machines is that there are a lot of them. we can always choose the most acceptable model, both in terms of price and characteristics. As for vertical machines, there are few of them, since they are not in great demand. Also considered as an advantage is the fact that it is much easier to repair front-end machines.
What else? Let’s remember how the upper part of the front-facing washing machines is usually used. as a shelf for storing boxes with laundry, washing powders and other items. In the case of a vertical machine, this is impossible. its upper part is used as a lid, which, in free time from work, should be slightly open to ventilate the tank.
But vertical washing machines are well suited for installation in small apartments! you say. Yes, this is true, but the height of the individual front-end machines is lower than the height of the vertical models, so they can be placed under a shelf or even under a sink. And finally, the most important advantage of front-mounted washing machines is the ability to integrate them into furniture. Vertical washing machines cannot boast of this, since they are all produced in a free-standing format.
Having figured out the advantages of front-loading washing machines, we can begin to consider the dimensions, classes, sets of programs and functions. All this will help us find out how to choose the right washing machine and not be mistaken in your choice.
Which manufacturer to prefer
Compact front-loading washing machines solve a lot of problems and take up a minimum of space in the kitchen or bathroom. As for the choice of the manufacturer, the problem is solved here by choosing products from the most famous brands from Italy, Germany and South Korea. For example, if you need a really reliable car, choose Bosch or Electrolux. The best options for price, quality and functionality are LG and Hotpoint-Ariston. Simplicity and reliability are the hallmarks of the Zanussi brand.