Replacing the cuff of the hatch of the washing machine LG M1096ND4
Replacing the sunroof cuff on the LG M1096ND4 Inverter DirectDrive washing machine.
To replace, we need: a straight and Phillips screwdriver, round-nose pliers.
We recommend that you first read the material completely, and then proceed with the repair.
Average replacement work time for an untrained person. 45 minutes.
- All photographic material is posted at the end of the article.
- IMPORTANT! De-energize equipment.
- Remove the outer cuff securing ring (clamp). To do this, gently hook the spring (located at the bottom of the cuff) with a straight screwdriver and pull the spring towards you. Remove the clamp from the groove.
- Remove the bottom panel. To do this, open the cover to the pump filter (it is located at the bottom right). Unscrew the screw with a Phillips screwdriver. We push a straight screwdriver into the groove (between the front panel and the bottom panel) and move upwards to disconnect the upper fasteners of the lower panel. Next, gently pull the panel towards you. We take out the drain pipe. Detaching the panel.
- Unscrew the 3 screws that secure the bottom of the front panel to the body of the washing machine.
- We take out the bin for washing powder (tray). To do this, open the bunker (pulling it towards you) and press with your finger on the depression in the center, after which we take it out.
- Next, remove the top cover. To do this, unscrew the two Phillips screws located at the back of the machine. Then carefully move the top cover away from you (about 3 cm). Raise the lid.
- Detach the upper front panel. To do this, use a straight screwdriver to press on the upper fastener (slightly) and pull the top of the panel towards you. Lift up the panel and detach the bottom fasteners. We do not disconnect any cable from the panel.
- There are two more Phillips screws behind the bezel that hold the front bezel in place. We unscrew them. The front panel will not fall down, as in addition to the screws, it hangs on two brackets.
- Raise the front panel about a centimeter and pull it towards you. IMPORTANT! Do not pull on the panel too much, as this could damage the sunroof lock connector (UBL). You can detach the chip, or you can simply put the panel next to it (leaning it against the side wall of the washing machine).
- Disconnect the inner mounting ring (clamp). To do this, remove the spring from the “hook” of the ring.
- Remove the old cuff. This model is fitted with cuff 4986ER1004A.
- Installing a new cuff. To do this, find the bottom of the cuff, then “put on” it in a circle on the tank. After that, it is important to turn the drum by hand. it should not rub against the cuff. You can tell by the sound right away. The drum should spin freely.
- We put on the inner ring. We start the ring in a circle so that the spring and the “hook” are on the right. Then we take the round nose pliers and put the spring on the “hook”. Then we fix the clamp. it should be in a groove around the entire perimeter.
- Install the front panel. To do this, first we hang it on the brackets, after which we tighten the two upper and three lower screws.
- Install the top front panel. We put the fasteners in the grooves (first the lower, then the upper).
- Install the top panel. We put it on the washing machine and start it on ourselves. Fasten with two screws.
- Install the bottom panel. First, we start the lower fasteners, then we snap the upper.
- Install the cuff on the edge of the front panel.
- We install the external fastening clamp. We start it around the perimeter so that the spring is at the bottom. After that, using round-nose pliers, we wind the spring into the groove.
- We connect the car to the network.
We hope that this article will help you change the sunroof cuff on your LG M1096ND4 washing machine yourself.
Replacement or repair of the seal
Do not rush to change the seal. Sometimes you can still save money and limit yourself to repairing it. Consult a specialist and listen to his professional advice. As a rule, if damage has occurred in the lateral or upper part of the cuff, it is allowed to glue it and not replace it with a new part. In addition, it is difficult to find spare parts for rare models of washing machines, and the seal has to be repaired.
Causes of damage to the cuff of the hatch
The machine cuff is a special sealing ring. Its main purpose is to seal the hatch. Rubber or silicone is most often used as a seal. elastic materials, but not the strongest.
A cuff in the washing machine connects the laundry container and the front wall. This part is needed in order to protect electrical parts from water and foam getting into them. If the cuff is damaged or loses its tightness, this provokes a leak of water and foam, which can cause very sad consequences, up to flooding the room.
It is practically not subject to restoration, especially if the damage occurred at a bend or in a hard-to-reach area.
First, you need to identify the root causes of the origin of defects. The defects themselves are most often cracks and tears through which water flows out. That is, if smudges appear under the hatch, it is necessary to carefully examine the rubber cuff for damage.
The reasons can be very different. One of them is natural wear and tear. Laundry and drum constantly rub against the cuff, it experiences heating and cooling from water, it is exposed to the influence of washing powder. All this leads to the fact that the rubber is fragile and fragile. In addition, the life of the machine is inconsistent, and its increase requires the replacement of some elements.
Another factor is the use of low quality detergent powder, which begins to destroy the structure of the rubber. In this regard, you should not purchase cheap detergents and watery detergents of suspicious quality. It is most correct not to save money, but to purchase good products that are sparing for materials and rubber. Overruns of powder can lead to similar results. dose it more carefully and do not forget that the excess harms not only individual elements of technology, but also your well-being.
The most common cause of damage is the crushing and cutting action of nails, screws, plastic parts and metal clothing. Be sure to inspect the s of your clothes and do not allow foreign objects to fall into the washing drum; use special bags for washing. In addition, it is necessary to familiarize yourself with the operating instructions for the equipment. locks and other accessories must be wrapped inside.
Removing the front clamp
The next step is to remove the outer and inner clamp. You need to start from the front. If the clamp is wire, you can get it by unscrewing the screw or picking up the spring with a flat screwdriver.
DIY part installation
For mounting, there is a certain recess in the cuff that fixes it. It is more correct to take the cuff from the inside and, pressing with your fingers, put it in a circle on the edge of the tank.
To eliminate slippage, it is necessary to continue mounting the seal from two edges towards each other with your hands. Efforts must be made to understand the movement of the cuff.
Completion of work:
- It is necessary to stretch the elastic on the tank. To do this, we connect the previously found tank mark and the location of the old cuff marked with a pencil. Then we try to fix the inner part of the elastic in a circle. If the elastic is in place, check with your fingers that it is firmly attached along the entire length.
- To define an internal stirrup, define its type. If adjusting, unscrew to the required diameter, install in the established place and tighten. If it is spring-loaded, in principle, fix it at one point, thread it into the hatch lock hole with a screwdriver. Then, using a screwdriver, distribute the seal in a circle.
- The last step is to install the outer clamp. If difficulties arise, you can use round nose pliers.
Replacing the cuff of the washing machine door
Repairing automatic washing machines can hit a budget well. some repairs are expensive. In this regard, many are trying to repair their own equipment on their own, without resorting to professional help from specialists. Most of the breakdowns are easily and easily fixed at home and does not require the use of special equipment.
Sequence of repair work
The cuff is attached with two clamps: to the front wall and to the tank. We remove the first clamp, disconnect the cuff from the wall. Then we remove the second clamp and remove the cuff outside.
We straighten the folds of the seal in search of a problem area. We thoroughly degrease the damaged area with cotton wool dipped in white spirit. The degreasing area should cover the gap of 10-15 mm along the entire perimeter. We keep the seal in a straightened state until the solvent is completely dry. You will need good quality flexible rubber for the patch. It also needs to be degreased.
Removing the second clamp
After removing the front clamp, you can start working with the inner one. To do this, find the instruction mark on the rim, if you cannot find it, mark with a pencil the location of the damaged rubber.
Further, the hole for the rubber should be cleaned of contamination with a soap solution.
Removing and replacing the cuff
If the rubber breaks, then do not hesitate, otherwise you will face a more complex malfunction of the washing equipment and more expensive repairs. Let’s look at how to change the cuff on an LG washing machine.
Before proceeding with the replacement, you should determine which cuff is in the machine. You cannot purchase parts from other machine models that are similar in type, functionality and appearance, as they may not fit. Specify the name of the model when purchasing, and choose an elastic band that will fully suit your technique.
Replacing the rubber band in the washing machine begins with the process of removing it. Before that, you need to make sure that the purchased seal is completely identical to the damaged one.
To complete the replacement you will need:
- One or two straight screwdrivers.
- Round nose pliers.
- Soap solution.
Disconnect the equipment from the power supply before starting work. For some models of machines, the design provides for the ability to replace the cuff without removing parts of the body. For others, remove the front wall. We must not forget about the accuracy of the actions when installing a new seal.
The process of replacing rubber in a washing machine involves removing two clamps, with which the rubber is attached to the tank body and to the front wall of the machine. Having unscrewed the leading edge, the first clamp should be loosened and removed. Plastic fasteners with latches. Metal clamps are tightened with a spring or with a screw. in both cases, you need a flat screwdriver. Pull back and loosen the spring, unscrew the screw, and pull the clamp towards ourselves. After that, we remove the clamps by prying them with a screwdriver.
How to replace a rubber band on a washing machine
A sealing rubber collar serves to waterproof the machine door and prevents water from entering the drum inside the unit body during washing. The rear edge of the seal is put on the drum, the front edge. on the door hatch on the front panel. The tight fit of the part is ensured by crimping clamps. Some manufacturers have technological holes in the rubber part for structural elements. This must be taken into account when choosing a spare part and installing it. There are several ways to remove the rubber band from the washing machine for replacement, depending on the specific model of the unit. The article describes the sequence of work on replacing a part using the example of LG, Indesit and Samsung washing machines.
The peculiarity of replacing the sealing gum on the hatch of the LG washing machine is that for this you need to remove the top cover, bezel and drum counterweights.
- By unscrewing the two screws on the back wall, remove the top cover of the machine.
- Remove the detergent drawer.
- Unscrew the fastening screws and remove the panel with the electronic control unit.
- Hook with a long screwdriver and remove the rubber band clamp.
- Remove the front edge of the seal from the edge of the hatch on the front wall and tuck in.
- Unscrew the screws and remove the front panel with the door.
- Use a socket wrench to unscrew the 8 bolts securing the two concrete counterweight weights.
- Remove stones carefully.
- Hook up with a screwdriver and remove the inner spring clip.
- Using a slight force towards yourself, remove the elastic from the washing machine.
- Clean the seating area of the seal from debris and dirt. Wash with detergent if necessary.
- Put on a new cuff so that its technological grooves fit snugly on the edge of the drum.
- Put on the clamp.
- Place the counterweights in place and bolt them.
- Mount the front panel.
- Fill the seal over the edge of the hatch, put on the crimp clamp.
- Install and screw on the panel with the control unit, powder compartment, top cover.
Required materials and tools
An elastic band can become unusable for several reasons:
- wear from long-term operation;
- mechanical damage by metal objects caught in the drum. Most often these are keys, paper clips, screws, coins, etc. forgotten in s;
- trapping linen when closing the door, which can lead to rupture of the rubber;
- careless removal of washed items, in which metal elements (zippers, buttons) can damage the part;
- exposure to corrosive chemicals used in violation of operating rules to bleach laundry or clean the drum.
Before changing the rubber band on the washing machine, you need to prepare:
- Sealing rubber collar, matching the specification to the model of the repaired machine. On the Internet, there are tips for minor damage to reinstall the seal so that the place of the defect is above the water level in the drum. This cannot be done. at any moment the cuff may collapse.
- Screwdriver, power screwdrivers for loosening oxidized self-tapping screws.
- Open-end and ring wrenches. Useful for removing counterweight weights.
- Liquid soap to reduce friction when installing the seal on some models.
- Cleaning cloth.
The proposed method allows you to remove and replace the rubber band from the drum of the Indesit washing machine without removing the front panel of the household appliance. Its disadvantages:
- work in confined spaces
- it is visually impossible to check the correctness of installation, only by touch.
- heavy load on the fingers, possibly injury.
- In the lower part of the hatch under the lip of the rubber band, use a screwdriver to pick up the crimp clamp and pull it out.
- Remove the collar from the edge of the hatch and put it inside the hatch.
- Grasp the inside of the top seal with your hand and pull it down together with the second spring clip. Attention! Enough effort required.
- Remove the removed cuff through the hatch hole.
- Clean the attachment point from dirt. Wash with detergent if necessary.
- Coat the technological grooves of the installed seal with liquid soap to reduce the resistance when putting on.
- Align the technological holes on the elastic with the elements of the machine and, pressing with your fingers, put the elastic on the drum, making sure that the edge goes into the groove to its full depth. This should be done carefully, gradually moving in a circle from the bottom point to the top and back.
- Coat the collar groove with liquid soap.
- Stretch the inner clamp and put it on, moving upwards from the bottom of the hatch. Life hack: in order not to pinch your fingers, you can wrap them with electrical tape.
- Pull the front edge of the elastic over the dash panel door.
- Put on the front clamp.
- Due to the fact that with this installation method there is no visual inspection, after completion of work, run the machine in rinsing mode and check the tightness of the seal.
The seal in a Samsung typewriter often breaks in the area of the lock due to its design. It is impossible to replace a damaged sealing gum without removing the top and front panels on this model of the washing machine. Unlike LG models, stone counterweights cannot be removed. Repair usually does not cause difficulties. Sometimes the electronic control screw in the area of the detergent drawer becomes so oxidized that it has to be drilled out.
- Unscrew the two screws securing the top cover on the rear wall and remove it.
- Remove the three front panel fixing bolts located at the top.
- Remove the detergent drawer.
- Remove the three ECU panel mounting bolts.
- Remove the plastic clips at the top of the unit holding the wiring harness. This must be done carefully so as not to damage the wiring and contact groups.
- Remove the control panel. This is necessary to gain access to the bolts holding the faceplate of the machine.
- Unscrew the front wall fasteners.
- Use a flat screwdriver to pick up the clamp and pull it out.
- Straighten the collar inside the hatch.
- Detach the lower decorative plastic strip.
- Remove the four mounting bolts.
- Remove the front wall.
- Remove 3 bolts and detach top panel.
- Use a screwdriver or screwdriver to unscrew the tension adjustment screw of the crimp clamp on the drum.
- Remove the clamp.
- Remove defective cuff.
- Put a good rubber part on the drum, put on and tighten the clamp.
- Assemble the unit in reverse order.
Replacing the rubber band on the washing machine: sequential instructions
A washing machine is a complex household appliance, the breakdown of which entails expensive repairs. But there are some breakdowns that you can fix yourself. One of these malfunctions is the replacement of the seal in the washing machine. In the article, using examples of models from several manufacturers, the sequence of work when replacing a part is described in detail, it is described what materials and tools are used. Recommendations are given for the prevention of damage to the rubber part.
Prevention of cuff injuries
Observance of simple measures during the operation of the washing machine will avoid damage and premature wear of the rubber seal:
- It is imperative to check the s of the items loaded into the drum before washing. Place linen neatly without tamping.
- Before starting the program, check the grooves in the rubber bands of the sunroof. Various objects often fall there, including metal.
- Wash items of clothing with metal fasteners, zippers, and pointed decorative elements in special mesh bags. This will prevent damage to the cuff and ensure a gentle wash.
- Avoid overloading. This leads to pinching of objects by the door of the machine and, as a result, damage to the elastic.
- Use only detergents, bleaches, softeners and cleansers recommended by the manufacturer.
We tighten the cuff
Putting on the rubber seal is somewhat more difficult than removing it. It will take an effort to insert the elements into the grooves. Detailed instructions for installing a new cuff:
- use soap and a sponge to clean the seat. You do not need to try to completely wash off the foam, on the contrary, it will facilitate the installation of the elastic;
- find the mounting marks on the seal, align them with the markings in the body;
Water drain holes should be located exactly at the bottom.
- place the cuff in the groove and pull it in a circle with your thumbs;
- put the clamp into the groove, holding it with one hand, tuck it around the entire circumference;
- put the front wall, fix it with self-tapping screws;
- install the previously removed bezel;
- straighten the cuff, insert the outer clamp into the groove with the “spring” down. Pull the ring gently around the perimeter. If the lock is screw, you can first loosen it, and then fix it in the case.
Next, it remains to check how well the rubber hatch seal is installed. The cuff should fit snugly against the body and drum. At the end, you should start the “idle” mode on the washing machine, for example, “Rinse” and observe the operation of the machine. If nothing flows, the repair was successful.
We remove the unusable part
Simply pulling the new seal out of the drum and putting it back on will not work. The collar of the hatch door is fixed with an external and internal clamp, which must be loosened during the dismantling process. The aLGorithm of actions will be as follows:
- feel for the outer plastic clamp;
- pry the “spring” of the ring with a screwdriver, pull aside and remove. It is important here not to stretch the clamp;
- on BEKO frontals, the front panel is removable. For the convenience of work, it is recommended to disconnect the lower bezel, remove the powder receiver from the housing, and unscrew the bolts fixing the “front” of the machine. Next, you need to carefully pull off the wall (the UBL wire will be connected to it) and put it next to the equipment;
- hook the inner clamp with a screwdriver exactly as you hooked the first one;
- pull the elastic towards you, gradually pulling it out of the grooves.
After that, you can carefully examine the cuff, find defects and cracks on the surface. Having found out the reason for its damage, you should try to prevent repetition in the future and continue to use the machine carefully.
Choosing the right cuff is important
In addition to the new rubber band, you will need a couple more tools. This is a minus screwdriver and pliers. In the process, soap and a soft sponge will also come in handy. At this preparatory stage will end, it will be possible to start repairing the equipment.
How to replace the cuff on a BEKO washing machine?
Rough handling can damage the sunroof seal. This problem cannot be ignored. A deformed seal can lead to leakage, so act immediately. We will figure out how to replace the door cuff on the Beko washing machine, what tools will be needed in the process, where to start the repair.
What caused the part to fail?
Although replacing the cuff on a Beko washing machine is not difficult and easy to handle on your own, it is best to avoid damaging the elastic. If you do not find out the cause of the damage and do not reconsider your actions, you will have to regularly change the seal. That is why it is recommended to inspect the dismantled element and find out what led to its deformation.
The cuff has its own wear life, and it is in the user’s power to prevent the acceleration of the process of deterioration.
The reason for the premature failure of the hatch rubber seal may be:
- careless replacement. It is very easy to pierce the cuff with a screwdriver during the installation process, therefore, you should be extremely careful when tightening it and putting the clamps in place;
- aggressive household chemicals poured into the machine. Some gels, bleaches, powders contain unsafe components that have a detrimental effect on the sealant;
- friction. If you overload the washing machine, the laundry will rub against the cuff with more force, sharp details on the clothes can damage the lining;
- damage by foreign objects. A bra bone caught in the drum will easily pierce the elastic. Keys, coins, hairpins, etc., forgotten in s, are also capable of causing harm. The condition of the gasket and heavy shoes spinning in the drum worsens;
- inaccuracy of the user. Rubber often suffers from careless insertion and removal of laundry from the machine;
- fungal deposits, mold. If you do not wipe the cuff dry after washing, do not ventilate or dry the machine, harmful microorganisms will settle on the seal. Such plaque will subsequently “eat out” the structure of the rubber.
If you follow the basic guidelines and handle your washing machine with care, you can delay the removal of the gasket for a long time. However, if you notice clear signs of a hatch leak, you should not be upset. it is not so difficult to remove the gasket and install a new one. Repair will take literally half an hour. The main thing when replacing is to clearly follow the instructions and act carefully.
How to replace the rubber cuff on your LG washing machine with your own hands
Sometimes a situation arises that you need to change the cuff of the hatch. Such a need arises due to its damage, which leads to water leakage during washing. In an LG washing machine, changing the rubber seal is quite simple. Because the front panel is removed, and convenient access for work is opened.
Partial disassembly of the washing machine
First of all, we pull the cuff off the body. Remove the metal clamp. To do this, first we find the spring and hook it up with a screwdriver, tighten it. We unfasten the seal in a circle and stick it into the drum.
Remove the top cover by first unscrewing two screws at the back.
We take out the detergent dispenser. To do this, press on the blue clip and pull it out. Two screws will become available that secure the control panel to the case. Unscrew them.
Now you need to remove. It is held with latches at the top and bottom. It is necessary to pry them off and pull out the panel. You need to act carefully so as not to damage the latches.
We loosen the fastening of the wiring to the body. Detaching the cables from the control module is optional. Carefully pull the panel to the side and attach it with tape. You can just slide it. You need access to two self-tapping screws that secure the front panel with a hatch to the body. Shown in the photo below.
Self-tapping screws securing the front of the case
Remove the cover covering the drain pump filter and unscrew the screw.
After that, you need to remove the bottom panel. It is held by double-sided latches. Pry off with a screwdriver and carefully remove. For convenience, you can slightly tilt the washing machine back.
Bottom panel latches
This opens access to the lower fixing screws. We unscrew them, as well as the upper.
Raise the panel slightly and remove it, setting it aside. It is not necessary to unpin UBL. Will not interfere.
Counterweights are placed around the cuff. As a rule, they do not make work difficult. But in this case, there is a very rigid metal clamp on the cuff, which is attached with a hook.
Attaching the collar to the cuff
To facilitate further actions, we dismantle both counterweights. To do this, unscrew the screws with an 8 socket wrench. The clamp can be carefully pulled off.
Installing the cuff
All sealing rubbers are asymmetrical. They have a bottom. you can identify it by the through technological holes, and also a top. it is marked with a small ledge. There is a triangle mark on the tank.
Therefore, the installation must be carried out from above, combining the designations.
Using your fingers, we pull the rubber over the edges of the tank. And gradually we go in circles.
I work in the field of household appliances repair. Extensive experience in refurbishing washing machines and dishwashers.
After completion, be sure to check with your fingers along the entire radius to make sure that the rubber is completely seated in its place. And also roll the drum. It must not touch the cuff.
Then install the clamp. First you need to insert the hooked edge into the groove. And pull the other end with a spring over it. The best way to do this is to use 90 ° round nose pliers.
Assembling the Washing machine
We put back the counterweights and gradually tighten the screws.
Washing machine without front panel
Disassembled machine with front panel
Reinstall the front panel. Hole holes into the plastic fasteners on the Washing machine. We fasten the screws.
We insert the bottom bar using latches.
Bottom bar and cover
Then we mount the control panel and tighten the screws.
Do not forget to put in the detergent dispenser.
After that we pull the cuff over the body and put the outer clamp.
Checking the operation of the washing machine “LG”!
In addition to LG, it is not difficult to change the cuff for the following machines: Samsung, (Bosch), Siemens. And in “Indesit”, “Ariston” and “BEKO” the body is non-separable.
Washing machines AEG, “Zanussi” and “Electrolux” are collapsible, but this will not help to replace the rubber, because the front panel of these machines cannot be removed. It is not so easy to change the cuff there. Step by step master class.
Disassembly of the car
The cuff is difficult to replace without disassembling the washing machine, so let’s start with disassembly. We go around the back of the machine and unscrew the screws that hold the top cover. Pull the lid towards you and lift it up.
Now we go around the machine in front. We need to get out the powder tray so that it does not interfere with us removing the control panel and the front wall. We pull out the tray for the powder towards ourselves until it stops, press the plastic tab in the center and take out the powder receptacle completely.
After pulling out the powder receptacle, you will see that there are two screws to the right and left of its niche. Unscrew these screws as carefully as possible using a Phillips screwdriver.
Now we need to remove the control panel of the LG washing machine. There are special latches on the back of the control panel behind the end of the case. You can squeeze them out using the same Phillips screwdriver. Press the latches one by one and gently pull off the control panel.
Proceed carefully, there will be an impressive bundle of wires behind the control panel. You do not need to disconnect them, just put the removed panel together with the wires on top on the corner of the machine body.
We take a flat screwdriver in our hands and squat down. We cling to the hatch cover, which covers the trash filter. This cover is at the bottom on a narrow decorative panel.
Having opened the lid, we remove the emergency drain hose to the side, which may interfere with getting to the fastener. Use a Phillips screwdriver to unscrew the screw that holds the decorative panel. The screw is located to the right or left of the filter depending on the LG Washing machine model. Gently grab the decorative panel and pull it off the latches, first on the right side, then on the left.
We open the hatch door wide open, take a flat screwdriver and try to remove the front clamp of the hatch cuff. This should be done at this stage, as this clamp will prevent you from removing the front wall of the Washing machine. We find the spring on the clamp. The spring can be located both above and below. We pry the spring with a flat screwdriver and, pulling it towards ourselves, gently pull off the clamp.
Instead of a flat screwdriver, you can take a blunt table knife, it is even better for this operation.
At this stage of disassembly, we still cannot remove the door sealing gum. But we can tuck it inside the drum so that it does not cling to the edges of the front wall of the case during further disassembly. We fill the cuff into the drum. Next, unscrew the two screws that hold the UBL of the LG washing machine. There are screws to the right of the hatch and you will need a Phillips screwdriver to remove them.
To loosen the front wall of the LG washing machine, you need to remove five more screws. First, unscrew the two screws at the top, and then the two screws at the bottom.
Gently use a screwdriver to squeeze the UBL out of the front wall so that it falls inside. The front wall can now be removed and set aside. It is not necessary to remove the hatch cover on purpose, let it remain assembled with the front wall of the machine body. Next, we need to remove the hose, put on the cuff fitting.
How to change the cuff on an LG washing machine
How is the cuff replaced on an LG washing machine? Some masters propose to carry out repairs without removing the front wall of the case, while others with removal. It is more correct to change the cuff with the dismantling of the front wall, top cover and control panel, especially when it comes to repairing a modern LG washing machine. Enough prefaces, let’s get down to business.
Preparing for repair
To easily change the sunroof cuff on your LG front-loading washing machine, you need to prepare. First, of course, we will study the instructions on the procedure for carrying out work and the safety instructions for the repair of electrical appliances.
- We need to turn off the machine and drag it to where it will be convenient to work with it.
- We also need to purchase a new sunroof cuff that is guaranteed to fit your LG washing machine.
- After that, we need to collect simple tools, prepare mentally and start work.
So, turn off the machine from the on / off button. We completely de-energize it by removing the power cord plug from the outlet. Next, we shut off the water supply to the machine and remove the hoses: drain and filling. We twist the power cord, hoses, and then drag the machine to the place where the repair will be carried out.
Now a few words about tools. You do not need anything serious for work, a Phillips and flat screwdriver, a flashlight is enough. If you are too lazy to twist the screws, you can take a screwdriver. That’s all, let’s start repairing.
Replacing the rubber hatch
Now it’s time to remove the rubber seal from the machine’s tank. True, we are hindered by the internal clamp, but its removal is a matter of technology. As in the case of the external clamp, we find the spring, catch it with a screwdriver and pull off the clamp.
We firmly grasp the cuff and try to pull it off the grooves. You have to make some effort. Do not be afraid to damage the old cuff when removing it, as it will go into ejection anyway. Once you are able to remove the old cuff, set it aside to out of the way.
After removing the old cuff of the LG washing machine, you may notice a huge amount of dirt that has accumulated on its seat. Take a rag and wipe off any dirt well. Remove the sleeve from the old cuff and put it on the new cuff.
Now we will inspect the new cuff and unfold it with the fitting up. You need to put a new elastic band so that the arrow on it coincides with the arrow on the body, and the technological notches are at the bottom. It is very important. Check everything a few times before you put the cuff on the seat. If everything is correct, we put on the cuff.
Next, we need to fix the cuff with an inner clamp. You can purchase a new clamp, or you can install an old one. We stretch the spring a little and put the clamp in place. This is the most time consuming part of the job, so ask someone to help you. Use two flat head screwdrivers to make it easier to put on the clamp.
Putting the inner collar in place, we go to the “home stretch”. We attach the tube to the fitting, and then assemble the “home assistant” in the reverse order. Be careful not to forget anything during assembly. At this point, we consider our instruction complete. If you still have questions, check out the tutorial. which we have attached to this article. And we wish you good luck and easy repairs!
How to change a sealing gum (cuff) on a washing machine?
Replacing the cuff in a front-loading washing machine may be required for various reasons, but it is not necessary to call a wizard for this task. You can change the gum at home without any special tools in any typewriter, be it a model from Indesit, Samsung, LG or another brand. The procedure will take about 30-60 minutes and will save you money if you figure out exactly how to replace the cuff.
Causes of damage
Replacement of the cuff is most often carried out due to the appearance of tears or cracks on the seal, allowing water to pass through during washing. As a result of the formation of such damage, the owner of the machine will see water leaks under the hatch, and after examining the cuff itself, he will notice cracks or tears, which may have different sizes. The reasons for this situation are the following factors:
- Natural wear of the seal. During the operation of the machine, the cuff constantly gives in to the friction of the drum and linen. It heats up during washing and then cools down. It is also affected by detergents. Over the years, this leads to brittleness and fragility of rubber.
- Poor quality washing powder. Under the influence of cheap powder and detergents with dubious quality, the rubber of the cuff begins to deteriorate, so saving on powder leads to costs for replacing the seal.
- Excess dosage of detergents. If you use an excessive amount of powder or liquid, the structure of the sealing gum may also be damaged, which will cause the cuff to be changed.
- Items of clothing that could damage the seal. Such elements can be metal and plastic fittings. In addition, screws, nails and other objects can get into the clipper from the s of clothes, which can cause the cuff to break.
Mold can build up over time if the seal is not cleaned. Therefore, it is necessary to periodically clean the washing machine. How to do this can be seen in the following.
How to replace?
First of all, you should purchase the sealing gum you need. Since the cuffs from other models of the machine may not fit yours, even if they look the same, be sure to tell the seller when buying the seal the model of the washing machine on which you are going to install the cuff. Only after making sure that the purchased cuff is exactly the same as your damaged seal, you can proceed to the replacement, including the following steps:
- We clean the edge of the tank from dirt (salts, powder, etc.). For this task you will need a warm soapy water solution. Once all dirt is removed, do not wash off the soapy film as it will aid in inserting a new cuff.
- Install the sealing rubber on the tank. Note that this won’t be easy with a new rubber band. Place the upper part of the seal against the tank (its upper edge) so that the marks coincide, then use two thumbs to tighten the cuff. To do this, your fingers should slide from the center to the sides. In this case, in the lower part of the cuff will not slip, but will be put on the hem as a whole.
- Check if the cuff is installed correctly. The water drain holes should be right down the center, and the tab found on most rubber bands should be up. In addition, after installing the rubber band, no gaps should form, since leaks are possible due to a loose fit.
- We tighten the inner clamp. You need to act depending on the fastening of the clamp. If its fixation is ensured by a tensioned spring, you need to put the spring part of the clamp on a screwdriver (if you did not remove the front wall, insert the screwdriver into the locking hole). So you can freely stretch the spring and put the clamp in its place. In the case of tightening with a screw, you just need to unscrew the screw, put the clamp in its place, and then tighten the screw to the required force. It will be even easier to secure the plastic strap held by the snaps. If your machine model has a wire clamp, carefully tighten its ends using round nose pliers, and then remove the knot into the existing groove of the cuff.
- We put a sealing elastic on the front wall and tighten the second clamp. We carry out all manipulations with the second clamp in the same way as with the internal one, depending on the features of its attachment.
- We check the tightness of the installed cuff. To do this, turn on any short wash program without loading laundry into the machine and make sure that water does not flow out of the bottom of the cuff.
It also happens that the front panel on the washing machine cannot be removed. It is not very convenient to change the cuff. There is a way out of this situation and in the following they describe in detail and tell how to replace the sealing cuff on such washing machines.
How to remove?
- Prepare a flat screwdriver for work, and if your machine is old, then round nose pliers. Also, do not forget to de-energize the machine and disconnect it from the water supply.
- First, remove the door from the machine, as well as the hatch lock. Your main step for detaching the cuff will be to remove the clamps used to attach the elastic to the front wall of the device and to the tank body.
- Carefully unscrew the front edge of the cuff, then loosen and remove the first clamp. If this part is plastic, then it is fastened with latches, and the metal clamp is fixed with a screw or spring, which must be removed with a screwdriver. The screw should be unscrewed, and the spring should be slightly pulled back and loosened. Prying the clamp with a screwdriver, it can be removed. If the machine is an old model, there are no adjusting bolts or latches in the design of the clamps, and in order to remove such clamps, you will have to work with round nose pliers.
- Your next action is to carefully detach the front of the sealing gum. It is held in the machine due to its shape and its own tension.
- After that, you need to start disconnecting the second clamp. Sometimes this task requires removing the cover of the machine body. Using a screwdriver, unscrew the clamp bolt or simply slide it out. The cuff can then be removed from the device.
To prevent damage to the cuff due to metal locks and other accessories on clothes, use special bags for washing things with plastic or metal elements. In the absence of a bag, turn the locks inside the garment.
In addition, it is important to always inspect the s of items before loading them into the washing machine in order to prevent any objects from entering the machine that could cut the rubber seal.